Skip to main content

smoke off yer life


Its been some time since my last post…..but I was preoccupied with other matters…
Back to ma writin
What is the difference between addiction n habit…if any!! The first thing that I turned to for an answer was a dictionary! In the GREAT DICTIONARY (no adjective, the dictionary I refer is itself called the GREAT DICTIONARY…nt oxford, m a bit unorthodox) i found this:
ADDICTED is defined as being physically dependant on a certain thing, or, being devoted to a particular interest or activity
HABIT was defined as a settled or regular tendency or practice!!
This may sound drab, n my reader may wonder what I am heading to, but I have a point to make, n I hope you bear up wid me
The definitions above are not complete, what about mental dependence?
I come to the crux of the matter now!! SMOKING: is it an addiction or a habit?
its not supposed to make u mentally dependent...but then ppl do behave lyk they r aft some tym...lyk i need a cig to think, to relieve ma tension!!!

Whatever it be its smtin I hav loathed from the time I hav smelled it!
I am a PASSIVE SMOKER…thanks to all the people around me who find it profoundly soothing to smoke off their worries….n also bits of their life!
i dunno why I am writing this…I know for sure its not gonna make a difference to all those people who smoke…indeed there are a lot many lives out there who survive on the very smoke of life that my dear smoker friends make!!! Thanks friends for giving a livelihood to so many families…
…..to the farmer who grows tobacco in his farm, to the middlemen, the tobacco industry (need I mention all those involved?), the shopkeepers (panwallas n thelas n gados are filled with all gratitude), n then those who come into the picture at a much later stage…the physicaians, the doctors, the pharmacists, the medical industry!!!

Thanks dear friends for also contributing indirectly to the tax revenue of the nation!!
Thanks to you we have roads, bridges, transport, communication…….SCHOOLS-- institutions where education is imparted for a better tomorrow…institutions where u r taught that when u make that puff in the air…its nothing but ur life that u r smoking away…..
Thanks for if it were not for whatever contributions u make on a daily basis…there wouldn’t be no smoking campaigns, n there would be nothing for people to do on world tobacco day!!

But for all those friends of mine who smoke today…I would like to see you one day..handing that cigarette to your bro or sis, mayb some day to your child…n say those familiar words..”C’mon b a sport” or ”its jus a cigarette, its not gonna kill u next moment”
.… but it wont happen, just as u cant give a glass of poison to the one you love, n urge him to drink it as the elixir of life, u cant give a cigarette to the ones you care for!!!!!

dear smoker pals….in that smoke u had today may be u found peace at the moment….but then some day when u look bac at ur life, u wil have wished that you had spent that time creating a memory, that would be more worth..than the smoke u left behind.
The apathy of being the near one to a smoker is precisely this…that between u n ur loved one,,ther is a wall of smoke, a wall impenetrable by words, emotions, or love!!
Unless of course the one on the other side decides to find a window from d seemingly surreal oblivion to reality.

Comments

Anonymous said…
oh...what a nice way of expressing yourself!! what i don't get about smoking..it's something you take in n let out..even alcohol (not that alcohol is good for u) is a form of edible intake...but smoking..u are not gaining anything! What goes away with that puff of smoke is a few minutes of your life and a few rupees from your (or rather your parents') purse!
nishi said…
absolutely agree wid u tejasee!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Trade-off

Trade-offs. used this term a couple o times couple o places. Dint think i d b using it in lifE as such. There's always a trade-off , between what's in your hand at right now, and what u wanna hold. Between what u can do, and what u wanna do. Between ur heart and ur head. Should there be? if we are a single entity, should what we feel be different from what we live? shouldn't life be bound by one philosophy, a single thought that runs through you, and reflects in everything that you do? Should there be a trade-off between being happy and making someone happy? Shouldn't it be the same? i can't understand compromises. I cant understand giving up something for something else. There cant be something less and something more... its either something o nothing. i cant understand why we sometimes fake ourselves. or we drift to believe that we are something else. why is inactivity so elusive? What can be achieved from endless conversations tat lead nowhere, head nowhere? Why

The passive Indian

Hello world, I am here to talk. No not promises, speeches n slogans and stuff of that sort. No just gupshup. Yeah the around the corner “hi! Hello!” stuff. Candle light march? Ahh yes id been on one.i walked with a candle talking about my day, and movies n stuff. No I din’t speak on camera, just to people I knew. Some I met after long. Huge turn out. What opinion? I don’t know what to say. No am not the ‘neta types’. M just a peaceful little person. No I don’t crave for media attention. Ahh yes it would be nice to have your photo in the paper. No but not at such things. No nothing political. I don’t want to be associated with anything remotely political. No pro no against. Yes I do think about it, sometimes when everyone’s talking. No actually not much. Then it passes. Newspaper?? Ya I read. No news channels, unless it some 26/11 or tsunami o world cup coverage. No I don’t read the newspapers, just page 3. It depresses me. Just the headlines sometimes. Just a glance. But I prefer lis

Another year passes by

So I enter into ma third blogging year. I thought I should like write some masterpiece or smtin to mark this event, but on second thoughts the best I could do was just write like I do every time cos this blog is now just a babble of ramblings of my mind as I work on the keyboard. Sometimes I try to organize my thinking, more often than not though, I just tend to drift away. When I began this blog, I d thought of writing about moments that have an impact on me. I think at the core, my blog Is still the same… but what u read, is more of what I pick up from those moments, as i often fail to mark them as I write. Wet-footprints has given the writer in me a renewed identity. Am not one of the best writers, and my language is far from right, yet I have found more like me through my blog, and the blogging world has by far changed the way I perceive things, near and far. I have realized that people all around the world are the same, and we all have the same emotions. Common man is governed by