Skip to main content
I wasn’t quite in a mood of going to class today. I dragged ma feet out of the bed, into the shower, and to the class, with a lazy cup of tea on the way. A lot of thoughts crowded my head as I walked. I felt like crying. NO it was not something personal, I was crying at the status quo.
I woke up today at around 6.30 in the morning when I heard the ‘corporation ka nal ’ (tap) spewing water. That’s rare and happens at all odd hours, as if trying to evade those it is meant for. I got up and mechanically filled bottle after bottle. The tap coughed and spitted, but I remained persistent besides it.

Through the minutes that passed like hours, I wondered how many such waits were there in my life ahead, or in fact for all of us who plan to live beyond the next 10-15 years or more. Had our predecessors foreseen this when they raised us as children of abundance? I doubt! Has there been a blind overconsumption in the name of affordability and comfort; a trend that continues to this day (and not surprisingly at an exponential rate)? As we see things vanishing, we are possessed by this desire to seize as much as we can lay our hands on.
Do we act blind, or can’t we really see through?

Through the 70 billion year old march on earth, we have created imbalances well beyond the recovering capacities of nature, strained the nature to juice out from it all that can be gained from, endangered many a habitat and today we endanger our own. Have we lost foresight?
Why is environmental sustainability always given a backseat in any development program? While evaluating projects are environmental costs taken into account and offset suitably? The impact of development on the people, the land, air, water , and the natural biodiversity that lives around it, is it given a fair trial?

As the battle continue between those who can afford and those who cannot, we further the divide between the two as the cost of living rises, where even water and food go beyond the affordability of a large populace as they become scarce.

We waste energy and resources as a price for the status one must maintain. ” Economising” is nothing to be ashamed of. When shall we look at it in the light of being a more sensible choice? How difficult is it to rethink and change?

The consumer is the greatest instrument of change, why still does the majority yield to the fulfillment of desires of a richer minority? How distant are the solutions? How difficult is a comprehensive green living program?

Germany follows a policy of phased transformation from non renewable to renewable sources of energy, can India do the same? Switching over between renewable and non-renewable sources of energy may well cut down consumption of the same from conventional sources. An aware consumer may well ask for obtaining supplies from sustainable resources. Carbon credits (or carbon offsets) is a nice concept, individual carbon credits an even better one. Industries, manufacturing units, firms, in fact any and every organisation can also be asked to make green investments equivalent to the amount of carbon they release. Individual households can economise on the use of resources, use more energy efficient appliances, consume more indigenous fruits and vegetables, as well as seasonal ones, plant trees and grow them. Paper could be shredded and sent back to manufacturing units for reuse as raw material along with pulp. Other initiatives would include carrying reusable shopping bags, separation of waste as dry and wet, composting. There is a lot of scope for innovative ideas in this sector. Hybrid cars would be a welcome change on the polluted roads of the metropolis, yet the infrastructure necessary for the development of these industries is not yet available in India. Government initiatives in this sector would be vital, at an early stage, while private sector has yet to realize the market and worth of such investments.

The adoption of any green living program by the populace would only come after the realization of our responsibility towards the earth. To realize that as inhabitants of this green planet, it is our duty to ensure that it remains habitable, so that there be an opportunity for life to persist and evolve. Our legacy should be the bounties that we enjoy in our lifetime and not remnants of a civilization that once thrived.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trade-off

Trade-offs. used this term a couple o times couple o places. Dint think i d b using it in lifE as such. There's always a trade-off , between what's in your hand at right now, and what u wanna hold. Between what u can do, and what u wanna do. Between ur heart and ur head. Should there be? if we are a single entity, should what we feel be different from what we live? shouldn't life be bound by one philosophy, a single thought that runs through you, and reflects in everything that you do? Should there be a trade-off between being happy and making someone happy? Shouldn't it be the same? i can't understand compromises. I cant understand giving up something for something else. There cant be something less and something more... its either something o nothing. i cant understand why we sometimes fake ourselves. or we drift to believe that we are something else. why is inactivity so elusive? What can be achieved from endless conversations tat lead nowhere, head nowhere? Why

The passive Indian

Hello world, I am here to talk. No not promises, speeches n slogans and stuff of that sort. No just gupshup. Yeah the around the corner “hi! Hello!” stuff. Candle light march? Ahh yes id been on one.i walked with a candle talking about my day, and movies n stuff. No I din’t speak on camera, just to people I knew. Some I met after long. Huge turn out. What opinion? I don’t know what to say. No am not the ‘neta types’. M just a peaceful little person. No I don’t crave for media attention. Ahh yes it would be nice to have your photo in the paper. No but not at such things. No nothing political. I don’t want to be associated with anything remotely political. No pro no against. Yes I do think about it, sometimes when everyone’s talking. No actually not much. Then it passes. Newspaper?? Ya I read. No news channels, unless it some 26/11 or tsunami o world cup coverage. No I don’t read the newspapers, just page 3. It depresses me. Just the headlines sometimes. Just a glance. But I prefer lis

Another year passes by

So I enter into ma third blogging year. I thought I should like write some masterpiece or smtin to mark this event, but on second thoughts the best I could do was just write like I do every time cos this blog is now just a babble of ramblings of my mind as I work on the keyboard. Sometimes I try to organize my thinking, more often than not though, I just tend to drift away. When I began this blog, I d thought of writing about moments that have an impact on me. I think at the core, my blog Is still the same… but what u read, is more of what I pick up from those moments, as i often fail to mark them as I write. Wet-footprints has given the writer in me a renewed identity. Am not one of the best writers, and my language is far from right, yet I have found more like me through my blog, and the blogging world has by far changed the way I perceive things, near and far. I have realized that people all around the world are the same, and we all have the same emotions. Common man is governed by