Skip to main content

Movie Amblings: Finding Fanny

An accidental movie plan led me to search for Fanny.


Finding Fanny took me home to the tiny offroads lined with fields, the riversides, the grilled wooden facades, the Three Kings church. There are some neatly done pieces esp Dimple Kapadia's "Ot" and "Poperly" in the first few minutes of the movie, but then the consistency to stick to the accent is lost over time. I wish atleast one actor in any movie would get the Konkani accent right, I wonder if its that difficult, coz in many places, the konkani conversations feel like they are read off a script (They aren't too long, just one or two lines strewn here and there).

The characters are regional stereotypes, but Pankaj Kapur breaks out of it and sounds no where like Don Pedro. Deepika Padukone maintains her angelic divinity throughout the movie, (and yes she didn't get on my nerves). The movie transports you to another time, where time ceases to be.

Its like those Amol Palekar movies of yore. The movie is not really about anything, not love, not a big plot, its just a story, about a bunch of people twined together cause they effectively live together. Yes Naseeruddin Shah as the sexagenerian Romeo is gorgeous, what with his curly white hair and innocent smile, carried off in a perfectly tailored blazer, (I could fall for him a kazillion times).His sudden change of expression when he finally sees Fanny is one of the moments i really loved in the movie.

The movie has its funny moments, but then it leaves you with a kind of a hollowed feeling. Its like a dish cooked technically sound, cause you have done everything by the book, but there's something missing, and you can't point it out when you taste.

If you are in for a feather light comedy, its for you. but if you try to read more into the movie, you are in for disappointment.

p.s. If you are a Goan away from Goa, do watch it, its 2 hours in your beloved place, you can forget about the characters and just enjoy the background.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trade-off

Trade-offs. used this term a couple o times couple o places. Dint think i d b using it in lifE as such. There's always a trade-off , between what's in your hand at right now, and what u wanna hold. Between what u can do, and what u wanna do. Between ur heart and ur head. Should there be? if we are a single entity, should what we feel be different from what we live? shouldn't life be bound by one philosophy, a single thought that runs through you, and reflects in everything that you do? Should there be a trade-off between being happy and making someone happy? Shouldn't it be the same? i can't understand compromises. I cant understand giving up something for something else. There cant be something less and something more... its either something o nothing. i cant understand why we sometimes fake ourselves. or we drift to believe that we are something else. why is inactivity so elusive? What can be achieved from endless conversations tat lead nowhere, head nowhere? Why

Another year passes by

So I enter into ma third blogging year. I thought I should like write some masterpiece or smtin to mark this event, but on second thoughts the best I could do was just write like I do every time cos this blog is now just a babble of ramblings of my mind as I work on the keyboard. Sometimes I try to organize my thinking, more often than not though, I just tend to drift away. When I began this blog, I d thought of writing about moments that have an impact on me. I think at the core, my blog Is still the same… but what u read, is more of what I pick up from those moments, as i often fail to mark them as I write. Wet-footprints has given the writer in me a renewed identity. Am not one of the best writers, and my language is far from right, yet I have found more like me through my blog, and the blogging world has by far changed the way I perceive things, near and far. I have realized that people all around the world are the same, and we all have the same emotions. Common man is governed by
one withers another grows......sometimes when u sit with the balance-sheet of life, n u find more negatives than positives... just throw it, n find something better to do. college seems so distant now... like it was eons ago, sometimes even another life!! the unit of time is months again, (sometimes days, minutes, seconds), unlike sems before. unlike pune times, where everyday was filled wit a possibility of chancing on someone new, being home is more of reflecting on those chance encounters. m not so much surprised by transitions, as the rate at which they occur(ed), undoing things, nullifying actions... so tat everything seems more chaotic than before ( o was it just a pseudo belief!) words can deceive, but quivering drunk voices cant!! hope is a butterfly that flutters till certainty kills it..