Skip to main content

to mumbai and back

On account of an interview, I had my first solitary tryst with the city of dreams. Since I have come to Pune, I have developed a child like delight towards everything I come across. Its neither disapproval nor immediate acceptance, jus pure delight—free from prejudices. I somehow manage to look at things of devoid of opinions abt it to bother my view!

The 5 hour journey cud b split into 2 distinct phases –the first one that took 3 hours from pune to navi Mumbai (tats like wher the metropolis begins, if m nt mistaken) and the second that took 2 hours to cover almost half the distance traversed before. Despite of the long journey, it was much pleasant. The lonavla-khandala stretch was spectacular. I was happy to see the greens, though they were markedly different from the lush goan landscapes. Bare rocks were prominent between the green beds. The roads unwound leisurely, and did full justice for neone who wanted have a running view of the valley. (visiting this place at a more leisurely convenience is another thing I have placed in my checklist now).

Mumbai, as many must have experienced, moves much faster off the streets than on it. Our bus stood back at every junction, and I was beginning to get a little restless (in bus journeys I alwes get anxious of getting down at the wrong stop). The bus finally stopped at Dadar, and the bus doors opened to taxi drivers who tugged at ur bags almost dragging u into the cab. The journey from the bus stop to the guest house proved even longer than I expected, some one n a half hours, with numerous detours cos of the mata (It was navratri time). There were times when I contemplated walkin would be faster, but well I sat through the long queues at never endin traffic signals and junctions. The taxi driver put in lame efforts at serving as a tourist guide, but soon discovered he could not maintain a reasonable conversation.

By the time I reached the guest house I was reasonably tired, I popped in the bed after a bath. Had a lot to catch up for the interview next day.

The interview was fun. Was happy with the realization that engineers all around are not much different, but there were vast differences in wat we studied, n how we were exposed to stuff. Lessons learnt. I met my buddy in the later part of the evening, and we settled for a coffee since it was already getting dark by the time we moved out of the interview. The following day was again spent in nostalgia with lots of photos n vids, n crazy talks with buddy at his place.
I was happy to see the sea, but then it din feel like the seas in goa. In goa, we have got really spectacular landscapes, landscapes that u almost never get tired of it, their essence remains unchanged despite of their inherent dynamic nature.

Mumbai was crowded. I guess that’s not a new observation. But on one night at the guest house, the skyscrapers glittered in the dark as the crescent moon rose up. The night looked beautiful. The sky above twinkled and the so did the city below. It was like moon dust was sprinkled, and it sparkled from all around. It felt surreal, dreamlike.

Even if u had or din have the means to be up in those glittering skyscrapers, the city runs on a dreamy hope. A hope that binds everyone who lives in it, and enchants and attracts all those who come to it!

The city of dreams indeed!

Comments

kaka said…
why it took u so long to reach mumbai from pune????after the expressway was paved ,the journey has been cut down to a mere 2.5 hrs....right about the navi mumbai thing but navi mumbai is really good....the night view of the city is a delight to watch...i want to have a pic of that...:)...beaches in goa are obviously far better...:)...
n00b said…
Mumbai indeed is a greta city, with all its shortcomings even a cynic like me has some praise for this city :)
nishi said…
@kaka the beaches in goa are amazing at night, but they glitter more in moonlight.

:( now u makin me miss goa
HaRy!! said…
thats some journey!!Never been to North India...but i luv to visit Mumbai...its ok if its gonna b crowdy! think first time here...nice template and blog yu have...following yu:) cya around..
nishi said…
@ Hary

hmm well mumbai doesn exactly qualify as north india! newe.. thanks fr droppin by.. hope to c u ard too :)

Popular posts from this blog

Trade-off

Trade-offs. used this term a couple o times couple o places. Dint think i d b using it in lifE as such. There's always a trade-off , between what's in your hand at right now, and what u wanna hold. Between what u can do, and what u wanna do. Between ur heart and ur head. Should there be? if we are a single entity, should what we feel be different from what we live? shouldn't life be bound by one philosophy, a single thought that runs through you, and reflects in everything that you do? Should there be a trade-off between being happy and making someone happy? Shouldn't it be the same? i can't understand compromises. I cant understand giving up something for something else. There cant be something less and something more... its either something o nothing. i cant understand why we sometimes fake ourselves. or we drift to believe that we are something else. why is inactivity so elusive? What can be achieved from endless conversations tat lead nowhere, head nowhere? Why

The passive Indian

Hello world, I am here to talk. No not promises, speeches n slogans and stuff of that sort. No just gupshup. Yeah the around the corner “hi! Hello!” stuff. Candle light march? Ahh yes id been on one.i walked with a candle talking about my day, and movies n stuff. No I din’t speak on camera, just to people I knew. Some I met after long. Huge turn out. What opinion? I don’t know what to say. No am not the ‘neta types’. M just a peaceful little person. No I don’t crave for media attention. Ahh yes it would be nice to have your photo in the paper. No but not at such things. No nothing political. I don’t want to be associated with anything remotely political. No pro no against. Yes I do think about it, sometimes when everyone’s talking. No actually not much. Then it passes. Newspaper?? Ya I read. No news channels, unless it some 26/11 or tsunami o world cup coverage. No I don’t read the newspapers, just page 3. It depresses me. Just the headlines sometimes. Just a glance. But I prefer lis

Another year passes by

So I enter into ma third blogging year. I thought I should like write some masterpiece or smtin to mark this event, but on second thoughts the best I could do was just write like I do every time cos this blog is now just a babble of ramblings of my mind as I work on the keyboard. Sometimes I try to organize my thinking, more often than not though, I just tend to drift away. When I began this blog, I d thought of writing about moments that have an impact on me. I think at the core, my blog Is still the same… but what u read, is more of what I pick up from those moments, as i often fail to mark them as I write. Wet-footprints has given the writer in me a renewed identity. Am not one of the best writers, and my language is far from right, yet I have found more like me through my blog, and the blogging world has by far changed the way I perceive things, near and far. I have realized that people all around the world are the same, and we all have the same emotions. Common man is governed by