Skip to main content

On democracies and free meals

The good thing about IIT Kanpur is the active student involvement in the administrative processes (at least those related to students). This, I have never had a doubt about. I believed that the average intellectual of the IITians would rise beyond shallow greed to enable this system to be progressive. But over the last one year or so, I feel saddened to have been proved wrong.

Around a year ago, a proposal was received to hike the electricity charges to be borne by the students in lieu of increased electricity rates. A subsequent proposal was made to recover electricity charges from each hostel individually. The proposal aimed at generating greater accountability amongst the residents(students) regarding electricity usage. This system was finally implemented in the start of the present semester. Through all the back and forth discussions, the students remained silent about the new proposal, its shortcomings etc. until they received their first bill at the end of January. Then began a series of absurd discussions and arguments that have saddened me time and again.

Through these 6 months I have seen students spread misinformation first out of ignorance and then out of deliberation to serve the end they had in mind. I have seen them refuse to accept facts or update their opinions in light of new knowledge. I have seen them arm-twist statements and opinions till they toe the line. I have never seen more ignoramuses in my life.

I observed an egotistical unwillingness amongst the students to accept the flaws in their arguments/claims. This process of thought amongst young adults is frightening and terrifying. All that’s left after months of deliberation are the same claims they began with. “The institute should subsidise our lifestyle, the government should subsidise our lifestyle, we on our part shall claim no responsibility for it. “

As an office bearer, part of the hostel administration I (along with others) was expected to sign a letter addressed to the director.  I was informed to sign on the sheet only if I agreed. But would a blank against my name imply assent by silence? Did it appear as another deliberate attempt to highlight only one set of opinions? Or was it reluctance to record un-favourable opinions out of fear that they might gather more of their kind?

Any democratic setup/ process presupposes informed opinion. It presumes that every individual, that is to be a part of the setup, has access to unbiased information to form this opinion, and that the process/ setup that gather these opinions merely consolidates them and does not collude them. Hence, in presence of misinformation and biased referees this system fails.

That “we”, the “present” (future?) of the world are already corrupt enough in thought and action, that we cannot run a simulacrum democracy successfully, makes me numb. It breaks me to see that at an age when we should be broadening our vision, we choose to live in a voluntary myopia. We want low tax rates, and subsidies on everything. We want a rise in pay over time due to inflation, yet we do not want to accept inflation and increase in prices. We want free education, but want no one to be bothered about our grades. We want facilities and comforts, yet we do not want to be held responsible for them. We do not want to be responsible for the resources use, we do not want to be responsible for the waste we generate, we do not want to be responsible for the dying trees, for the thirsty animals and the homes we have destroyed. We do not want to be responsible for the miserable lives on which the "sales" thrive. Time and again, “we” fail ourselves collectively, and yet expect the society exclusive of us to somehow be different. 

It is easy to say change begins at home, or practice what you preach, yet it is difficult to resist the temptation to rush at every board that screams free meals. 

Comments

Joyee said…
Very aptly written! I am feeling something similar in an entirely different setup.
I wonder when will we understand that "with power comes a responsibility, and if we ignore the latter we are bound to face the consequences".

Popular posts from this blog

Trade-off

Trade-offs. used this term a couple o times couple o places. Dint think i d b using it in lifE as such. There's always a trade-off , between what's in your hand at right now, and what u wanna hold. Between what u can do, and what u wanna do. Between ur heart and ur head. Should there be? if we are a single entity, should what we feel be different from what we live? shouldn't life be bound by one philosophy, a single thought that runs through you, and reflects in everything that you do? Should there be a trade-off between being happy and making someone happy? Shouldn't it be the same? i can't understand compromises. I cant understand giving up something for something else. There cant be something less and something more... its either something o nothing. i cant understand why we sometimes fake ourselves. or we drift to believe that we are something else. why is inactivity so elusive? What can be achieved from endless conversations tat lead nowhere, head nowhere? Why

The passive Indian

Hello world, I am here to talk. No not promises, speeches n slogans and stuff of that sort. No just gupshup. Yeah the around the corner “hi! Hello!” stuff. Candle light march? Ahh yes id been on one.i walked with a candle talking about my day, and movies n stuff. No I din’t speak on camera, just to people I knew. Some I met after long. Huge turn out. What opinion? I don’t know what to say. No am not the ‘neta types’. M just a peaceful little person. No I don’t crave for media attention. Ahh yes it would be nice to have your photo in the paper. No but not at such things. No nothing political. I don’t want to be associated with anything remotely political. No pro no against. Yes I do think about it, sometimes when everyone’s talking. No actually not much. Then it passes. Newspaper?? Ya I read. No news channels, unless it some 26/11 or tsunami o world cup coverage. No I don’t read the newspapers, just page 3. It depresses me. Just the headlines sometimes. Just a glance. But I prefer lis

Another year passes by

So I enter into ma third blogging year. I thought I should like write some masterpiece or smtin to mark this event, but on second thoughts the best I could do was just write like I do every time cos this blog is now just a babble of ramblings of my mind as I work on the keyboard. Sometimes I try to organize my thinking, more often than not though, I just tend to drift away. When I began this blog, I d thought of writing about moments that have an impact on me. I think at the core, my blog Is still the same… but what u read, is more of what I pick up from those moments, as i often fail to mark them as I write. Wet-footprints has given the writer in me a renewed identity. Am not one of the best writers, and my language is far from right, yet I have found more like me through my blog, and the blogging world has by far changed the way I perceive things, near and far. I have realized that people all around the world are the same, and we all have the same emotions. Common man is governed by